Friday January 6th - Three Phone Calls

 

Friday January 6th - Three Phone Calls

          After the end of our Big Year, I was hoping for some R & R, some quiet time, some time to get things done around the house, but it was not meant to be.  On Friday morning I had a doctor’s appointment and Mike was going to Woodlawn Cemetery for Sherry Plessner’s weekly bird walk.  As I was driving home from the doctor’s office, I got an urgent phone call from Mike.  He said, “Where are you?  We’ve got a Merlin at the cemetery.” I said, “Is it perched?  I guess I could drive over there.  I don’t have my binoculars or a hat or gloves or the right shoes but I’m on my way.”  I arrived and there was Mike with a very cooperative Merlin perched in a tree.  I got a good look and said, “Normally I would stay for the rest of the bird walk but I’m really not dressed for the occasion so I’m going home.”

          I went home and was busy working on my latest art project when I got a second phone call from Mike.  He said, “I’m at UT (University of Toledo) looking at a Peregrine Falcon perched on the bell tower.  I thought to myself, “That’s a really good bird not far from home and I should probably go look at it.”  Off I went and when I arrived there was Mike patiently waiting with his spotting scope focused on the falcon.  It was great to see two unexpected falcons in one day.  I headed for home as Mike was loading the scope back into his car.

          I was almost home when I got a third phone call.  I said, “WHAT?”  He said, “Did you see the eagle at the corner of Bancroft and Richards?”  I had never seen a Bald Eagle so close to home, so I made a quick U-turn.  I was amazed to see a beautiful eagle perched in a tree at the Avis Car Rental center.  Three great raptors in one day was a terrific start to the new year.

                                                 Merlin

                                              Peregrine Falcon

                                                  Bald Eagle

                                                 Latest Art Project                                                                                                                                     Celtic Owl on wood panel with screws      

                                                                    





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January Summary

Chuck-will's-widow

Saturday March 25th - Black-legged Kittiwake